Designed by Frank Kirby and built by Toledo Ship Building Co. of Toledo, OH in 1911, hull # 119. Launched as CHIEF WAWATAM for Mackinac Transportation Co. of St. Ignace, MI for use as a railroad ferry link crossing the Straits of Mackinac. Keel laid on June 1, 1911, launched on August 26, 1911, sailed on maiden voyage October 16, 1911 and arrived at St. Ignace, MI for the first time on October 18, 1911. Dimensions: 351′ 00″ loa x 62′ 00″ beam x 20′ 06″ depth; 2,990 GRT, 1,793 NRT. Cargo capacity: 22 railcars with a combined weight of up to 2,990 tons. Power: 3 triple expansion engines for a total of 4,500 hp. The CHIEF WAWATAM had one propeller forward for ice breaking and 2 propellers aft.
On February 2, 1939 the CHIEF WAWATAM had the forward shaft and propeller replaced. Vessel was inactive in 1965 to have the boilers renovated by Manitowoc Ship Building of Manitowoc, WI. Sailed under her own power for the last time in August of 1984 and was laid up in Mackinaw City, MI till 1988. The CHIEF WAWATAM was the last “hand bomber”, hand fed coal burning boiler ship, to operate on the Great Lakes.
In 1989, she was sold to Purvis Marine Ltd. of Sault Ste. Marie, ON and was cut down to a non-powered deck barge that retained her name CHIEF WAWATAM. In 2009, her deck began to collapse and it was decided that it didn’t make financial or economical sense to replace the deck and the hull was scrapped at the West Purvis Dock in Soo, ON.
In 2005 one of the triple expansion engines was restored to operating condition and placed on display at the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, WI. Another was given to the city of St. Ignace and now is stored at the Mill Slip. The third is still owned by Purvis Marine.